Re-forming Authenticity & Intimacy in a Technological Future
TOPIC IS: FUTURE OF RELATIONSHIPS AND DATING APPS EFFECT ON AUTHENTICITY
I already have a powerpoint done, just need the essay help.
1500-2500 words, not including references.
Rationale: Through the third unit of the course “LOSS OF AUTHENTICITY AND DISTANT INTIMACY?” we have learned about concepts of authenticity, distance, mediation, aura, relationship between bodies, people, technologies, reality, nature. We have learned also on romantic/social relationship in the digital age. In this essay I would like you to choose a technology of the future (one that is been developed these days, and/or that is quite new and seems to stay with us in the future). In this essay you will provide a prediction of how our future will look like with this technology. You will develop your own unique argument and insights.
- Choose a “future” (communication or other) technology (in Western or non-Western world), which seems interesting to you regarding its relation to concepts of authenticity and/or intimacy.
- Introduction: Open with an explanation on why you chose to study this technology and how it relates to concepts of authenticity and/or intimacy. Include here also how you view authenticity/intimacy. You can use your own definition or others’. Explain how your argument/essay below is unfolded. (2-3 paragraphs)
- First section: describe the emergence/plan/intention in regard to this technology (some factual details), including who, where, why, when it was invented or thought to be invented, for what reasons, needs, goals. Do not forget to cite your sources here. (1-3 paragraphs)
- Second section: describe the practice, operation, infrastructure of the technology. Ask yourself – how does this technology work, keep in mind issues relevant to authenticity and intimacy (depends on your choice). For instance, feeling the other, presence, passage, routes, containers, interactivity, (para)social interaction, affinity, empathy, matters, transformation, or any other aspect that we talked about through the course and you find relevant. (2-4 paragraphs)
- Third section: Argue and state how this technology can be viewed, related, impact or impacted by intimacy/authenticity. In other words, after analyzing the technology in section #2 what can you say about it in relation to authenticity or intimacy. Explain also why. Use our readings in depth. (2-5 paragraphs)
- Fourth section: Bring up your educated insights. Reflect also on how you yourself view the relationship between technology and society (determinism? Causality? Assemblage? Reflection? Else? as Utopia or Dystopia, or neither). Offer something new to the field, and/or to the public or creators of technologies. (1-3 paragraphs)
- I expect you to use at least five relevant readings from the syllabus.
- You can choose to focus on Intimacy or Authenticity, or both. But be clear on this.
- You are welcome to add visuals to your essay. They will not count for the word count.
- Please indicate at the end of the essay the word count.