How did slavery impact the United States
Please choose one (1!) of the following fourquestions, and write a 4-5 page essay answering the question you choose. Your essay should be double-spaced, 12 font or its equivalent, and submitted on blackboard by the end of the day on Thursday, December 10th.
Please remember that you need to participate in the final exam discussion board. The board will be available on Friday, December 4th; your contribution is due by the end of the day on Wednesday, December 9th.
Whichever exam question you choose, please:
- Provide your argument, and a brief explanation of that argument, in your introductory paragraph.
- Here is what I would like you to do in your essay:
- Again, present a clear argument right away that answers the question directly
- Use the relevant chapter and final exam discussion boards to help you answer the question you’ve chosen
- Always explain your arguments
- Always provide evidence – the best possible evidence – for your arguments
- Make sure to look for evidence in the textbook and in the video lectures
- Include an introduction and conclusion
- Here is my advice to you as you write your essay:
- Be organized – try your best to write in paragraphs
- Be thorough – the questions are designed to take you a long time to answer
- Be clear – answer the question, and defend your answer, and write, as clearly and directly as you can.
- Be thoughtful – show me that you’ve thought about the question, and about history, rather than only summarizing what you read
Here are the potential essay questions. Please choose ONE to answer:
- How did slavery impact the United States and the people living in it?
- What sparked various reform movements in the mid-19th century and what were these various movements able to achieve?
- How did the U.S. – Mexico War affect the various peoples living in the United States, including the territory that becomes part of the United States as a result of the war?
- How did the Civil War transform the United States and the people living in it?
Rather than providing specific guidelines here, I urge all of you not only to participate in the final exam discussion board to help you put together your answer, but also to look back at the discussion board that takes up the question you’ve chosen. Take advantage of the fact that you and your classmates will have discussed the question – twice – and that your section leader has posted their own commentary on the question at the end of the discussion. Use these to help you!!