Critical Consciousness Activity In Response to Current Events 4- Short
1. How would you summarize the collective’s politics, commitments, and goals?
2. What is their critique of the white women’s movement? Do you have any yourself?
3. What ideas and/or tools for organizing did you identify in this reading?
4. The collective makes a number of claims about the relationship between sex and race. According to the collective, how does sexual identity combine w/ racial identity in the lives of African American women? How do sexual identity and racial identity combine in your personal experience?
6. What is meant by the following quotes?
p. 193 “We might use our position at the bottom to make a clear leap into revolutionary action. If Black women were free, it would mean that everyone else would have to be free since our freedom would necessitate the destruction of all the systems of oppression.”
p. 194 “Many Black women have a good understanding of both sexism and racism, but because of the everyday constrictions of their lives cannot risk struggling against them both.”
P. 194 “Accusations that Black feminism divides the black power struggle are powerful deterrents to the growth of an autonomous black women¹s movement