Julian McDonald, a liberal congressman from California, intends to propose a law that will abolish marriage as a legal practice. In his book titled The Abolition of Marriage he proposes that marriage as a legal contract should be all-together abolished, and if couples seek to practice this traditional custom it should be a non-legal ceremonial, religious-based, act.
“Three major family trends imply that marriage has lost its value in society and for today’s culture,” says McDonald in a 2015 CNN interview. These three trends that Congressman McDonald reveals are (1) high divorce rates, (2) high rates of cohabitation, and (3) rates of children born out of wedlock. According to McDonald, “high divorce rates demonstrate how little faith couples have in marriage by not seeking lifetime (long-term) commitment to the spouse.” McDonald bashes marriage by saying, “cohabitation is what couples nowadays prefer and its the intelligent way for people to get to know each other, even before opting for marriage.” McDonald continues bashing marriage when making the infamous comment, “since many children are born out-of-wedlock, they are legitimate (by law) bastards, so why marry?”
Instructions: Do you agree with Congressman Julian McDonald or do you disagree? To propose your position it must be defended by one of the three theoretical perspectives; Functionalist Perspective, Conflict Theorist Perspective (which may include Feminist Perspective), or Symbolic Interactionist Perspective.
- You must use one-inch margins (top, bottom, and both sides).
- Use 12 mm size font
- Font Style: Times New Roman / Arial font style, or any other legible font.
- The length of this paper must be 7-9 pages in length as specified in the template (Title Page, Abstract, Analysis Section, Discussion, and Reference Page
See template for specifications, and go to your inbox on the messages sent regarding related instructions to the construction of this paper. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SECTIONS MUST BE SEPARATED BY PAGE.
- APA style: all APA sections must be included (see and use template)
- Position of agreement or disagreement must be presented and explained
- The selection of one of the sociological perspectives as theoretical foundation to defend position
- A minimum of three professional references also as foundation to solidify your defense
- Clarity and exposition of your paper