The t-test Assignment
Make sure to show all your work!
This was a study performed to determine if 6 weeks of Cross-Training OR 6 weeks of Running will result in a greater weight loss (lbs). 80 people were recruited and put either into the ‘Cross-Training’ or ‘Running’ group (so 40different people in each group). Both groups had their weight (lbs)measured before and after the 6-week exercise protocol (Cross-TrainingOR Running). The amount weight lostwas calculated and used as the dependent variable. It was not sure which exercise group would on average lose more weight!
- In column B, count from 1 to 40 – remember this is just a count! (2)
- In column C, have a set of random values (Cross-Training) (4)
- use the =randbetween command and have a range from 11 to 17
- In column D convert column C functions to values (4)
- This will be your first set of data that you will use for the t-test
- In column E, have a set of random values (Running) (4)
- use the =randbetween command and have a range from 16 to 26
- Convert the column E functions to values (in column F) (4)
- This will be your second set of data that you will use for the t-test
- Calculate the mean and SD for each group (4)
- Perform the proper t-test (20)
- Based on the SD values for each group
- Whether your study is ‘between subject’ or ‘within subject’
- Explain whether your test showed a significant difference or not using the example shown in lecture for both the generic and t-test specific methods for determining significance. Make sure to include the values in your explanation.
- Explain the outcome of the t-test – meaning, in 7c. you explain if the test showed significance or not, but what does that mean in terms of a t-test and what SPECIFICALLY is being studied here!
- Make sure to highlight the one-tailed OR two-tailed t-test information that you used to determine significance.
- Develop a VERTICAL bar (column) graph with the means of both groups in it (20)
- In other words, your graph will only have a TOTAL of 2 bars (one for each group’s average).I should NOT see more than 2 bars on your graph!!!
- Make sure to include properstandard deviation bars as taught in the lectures.
- Have proper title with units for the Y axis and proper X axis titles (the groups’ name). DO NOT have a main title on your graph and do not have a legend.
- Neatness!! (10)
- You will be getting marks for neatness
- Include labels in each of your columns, so I know what’s what!
- Show equations throughout your assignment
- Use proper labels and units for headings & on the figure
- Make sure to put your name(s) on the top left corner!