Algebra 2 2020-2021
Module 3: Quadratic Equations
Lesson 3: Quadratic Transformations
● Why does the degree of an equation reveal the number of solutions to the equation?
● To what extent are the solutions to quadratic equations real?
● How are the real solutions of a quadratic function related to the graph of that quadratic function?
Students will be able to:
● Describe the transformation of a quadratic function given an equation or a graph.
● Write the equation of a quadratic function given a verbal description of the shift from the parent function.
For a function that models a relationship between two quantities, interpret key features of graphs and tables in terms of the quantities, and sketch graphs showing key features given a verbal description of the relationship.
● Desmos Activities
Need a calculator?
|Announcements: Please fill out the video consent form if you didn’t already! You will get a 100% classwork grade for completing it.
We don’t have school on Wednesday because of Veterans Day
The last day we will accept work for this marking period is Friday, 11/13.
|Desmos Activity: Please note that desmos activities work best on a computer. This one will work on a tablet as well.
Click on the link below to go to the “Exploring Quadratic Transformations” desmos activity. We will finish it in class today.
If you finish our first desmos activity, click on the link below to go to the “Quadratic Transformations” desmos activity. We will finish it in class the next time we meet.
● Finish the first desmos activity if you haven’t yet.
● Answer the following questions.
1. Predict how each function will change from the parent function y=x2. Write a short sentence describing the transformation.
(a) y=2x2– 6
(b) y= -0.5x2+8
2. Write an equation based on each description of the transformation from the parent function, y=x2.
(a) The graph of y=x2 is stretched vertically by a factor of 8, and shifted up 4 units.
(b) The graph of y=x2 is compressed vertically by a factor of ⅕, and shifted left 2 units.
3. Write a quadratic equation as best you can from the given graph and based on what you know about transformations.
Don’t forget to turn it in!