Are Doctors Responsible for the Opioid crisis
Research Essay on an Issue (SLOs 1-5):
Turn in all work with the following parameters: Word document (.doc or .docx), 1” margins, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12 pt. font). Make sure to cite your sources properly using MLA format.
For this assignment, you will pick an issue of importance to you; something that is either in your field or something that is interesting to you and you want to learn more about. After choosing your topic, you will write a research paper that provides background for the issue and then makes a thoughtful argument about it. (4-5 pages for the research paper)
• Generate your own topic on issue of importance to you.
• Make an argument about your topic. This argument must be clearly stated in a working thesis statement. All body paragraphs must be focused and organized, clearly relating back to your thesis. Don’t forget that you must provide your audience with the necessary background information and state what YOU think must be done about it (backing it up with credible sources).
• Research sources appropriate to your topic, and effectively use those sources as evidence to support and prove your thesis. You must research and use at least 5 outside sources*. We will discuss research methods and ways to incorporate sources into your writing in class.
• Cite all sources using MLA format. Your paper must include proper parenthetical citations and a Works Cited page. We will go over MLA citation in class.
*A Few Notes about Required Sources: Your sources must be reputable and reliable. Good sources include the following:
▪ newspapers (San Francisco Chronicle, New York Times, etc.)
▪ magazines (Time, Newsweek, etc.)
▪ scholarly journals
▪ some websites (We will be discussing internet sources during the research workshop.)
Remember that a well-researched paper will include a variety of sources. Also remember that for academic papers, books and scholarly journals tend to provide the best information.