Gluten: friend or foe
Originally prescribed as a treatment for individuals with Celiac disease, gluten-free diets have gained popularity among gluten tolerant individuals. This has led to an explosion of gluten-free products available in grocery stores and restaurants. However, are these diets beneficial for the general population?
1. Click the underlined links below to read a journal article and an article published by a popular news organization. Note the differences in the writing style and detail of information presented.
a. CBS News Article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57483789-10391704/gluten-free-diet-fad-are-celiac-disease-rates-actually-rising/ (Links to an external site.)
b. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Gluten-Free Diets: Imprudent Dietary Advice for the General Population?
2. Answer the essential questions below in your inital post
3. Respond to at least one of your classmates’ post.
1. What had you heard about gluten in the past? There are no wrong responses!
2. Have these articles and/or the information in the textbook changed your opinion? Why or why not?
3. What advice would you give to a friend who asked if they should try a gluten-free diet to lose weight or “to eat healthier”? Be sure to support your response with reputable sources.
NOTE: There is a minimum word limit of 250 words for the initial post, and 100 words for the reply post. Please cite any sources used in your responses using either APA or MLA formatting.