PROJECT 2: Chance Dance
For the the second project, you will create gestures for three active verbs. You will use chance dance procedures to generate a movement phrase. This is the beginning of dance composition.
1. Pick 3 different verbs from the following list:
2. Set a timer for one minute and explore the first verb. Try to come up with a gesture that you can repeat. Go through this process for all 3 verbs, so you have 3 original gestures. Take notes on your experience with this part of the assignment.
3. Now, follow this chance dance procedure to develop your phrase:
1. Level: write low, middle, and high on three slips of paper. Put them in a hat. Draw one slip for each verb. This is the level for your gesture for that verb.
2. Tempo: write fast, middle, slow on three slips of paper. Put them in a hat. Draw one slip for each verb. This is the tempo or speed for your gesture for that verb.
3. Repetitions: write 1, 2, 3 on three slips of paper. Put them in a hat. Draw one slip for each verb. This is the number of times you repeat your gesture for that verb.
4. Fill out the Project 2 Chart with the information for each of your verbs.
5. Learn and practice dancing your phrase. Rehearse dancing your phrase three times in a row.
6. Film your phrase.
7. After you have completed this exercise, write a 2-3 page reflection paper about the experience. Papers must be 500-750 words. Include your Project 2 Chart at the end of your paper. (The chart is NOT part of the 500-750 word count). Use Times New Roman 12 point font, one-inch margins, page numbers in the bottom right hand corner, and double space. Save your paper as a Microsoft Word document or PDF file.