Research-Based Report to a Decision-maker
Writing Assignment #4
Research-Based Report to a Decision-maker
Summary of assignment
- Task: You write a report that does the following:
- defines a problem persuasively and accurately o proposes a solution or solutions to the problem or issue
- presents that solution to a decision-maker or group of decision-makers who can implement the recommendation
- Topic: You will choose the same topic on which you wrote the memo for writing assignment #3.
- Length: 2000-3000 words
- Format: Your sources will be cited and listed in APA format.
- Writing Process: You will submit a first draft of the report to the assignment folder. The first draft will be given comments by the instructor. After receiving comments from the instructor, you will submit a revised draft. The final draft will be graded.
If you do not submit a second draft, the first draft will be graded.
- Components of the report:
- title page
- letter to the decision maker (this can be a business letter OR a memo)
- executive summary
- table of contents
- body of the report to include headings and subheadings
- conclusion stated as a recommendation for implementation of the solution
- References page, with references listed in APA format
- Any appendix (or appendices if there are multiples)
Instructions on how to list an interview in APA format can be seen at the following url: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/11/
Primary and Secondary Sources
DUE TO THE DANGERS RELATED TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, PRIMARY RESEARCH IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THE RESEARCH REPORT ASSIGNMENT. IF POSSIBLE, STUDENTS CAN CONDUCT INTERVIEWS OR SURVEYS REMOTELY (BY USING A SYSTEM SUCH AS ZOOM) OR VIA EMAIL RELYING ON WRITTEN RESPONSES. HOWEVER, STUDENTS MAY CHOOSE TO USE ALL SECONDARY SOURCES FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. IF A STUDENT CHOOSES TO MAKE THIS CHOICE, SHE/HE SHOULD FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS BELOW FOR COMPLETING THE ASSIGNMENT.
The report must incorporate the results of your own primary research. When integrating primary research, you must explain the method(s) you used to gather that research and insert a copy in your report’s appendices of any collection instrument you used. For example, if you interviewed some people for the report, you would put the list of interview questions you asked in the appendix. If you arranged for a group of people to take a survey, you would put the survey in the appendix.
The complete report should also cite at least seven secondary sources. At least three of these secondary sources should come from peer-reviewed, scholarly journals.
Students who cannot conduct primary research for safety or other valid reasons are required to provide TEN secondary sources. Of these FOUR should be from peer-reviewed, scholarly journals.
As noted above, your primary and secondary sources will be integrated into the paper to explain the problem, to provide evidence of the problem, and to support the solution.
Please note that, if you interview people for your research, you must cite the interviews in your paper. In the paper, you cannot simply write that you “spoke with employees.” A URL that shows how to cite an interview in APA citation style is provided in the list of components for the report.
You might have taken WRTG 393 at UMGC. In WRTG 393, the final paper is a white paper. This assignment is different from the white paper in WRTG 393. In this paper for WRTG 394, you are writing to a specific decision-maker about a specific problem in your workplace or community. The audience is much more focused than that for the white paper in WRTG 393.
Your report might benefit from graphics. As mentioned above, pictures of your workplace or community situation might help illustrate the problem you are trying to address. Graphs, tables, or charts might help show trends that will persuade your decision-maker that the problem exists.
Please do not incorporate a graphic for the sake of incorporating a graphic. Include a graphic only if it helps communicate a message in your report.
Your instructor will notify you of the due date. You will write a first draft, your instructor will comment on the first draft, and you will submit a second draft using the comments as your guide.
For this report, you will write on the same topic on which you wrote the memo for writing assignment #3. In addition, it should be related to the topic on which you wrote writing assignment #2. The secondary research you conducted for writing assignment #2 should be usable in some form for this report.
You must contact your instructor for approval before changing your topic from writing assignment #3. In addition, if you do so, you must re-submit a memo for writing assignment #3.
Submitting the assignment:
You will submit a first draft of the essay to the assignment folder. The first draft will not be graded. The instructor will provide comments on it.
After receiving comments from the instructor, you will submit a revised draft. The final draft will be graded.